Wednesday 24 November 2010

Avram's Song

Saturday’s game at Anfield seemed to be one of those tipping points, as the travelling fans started to turn against the manager, and even the Avram Apologists had to admit that lining up 4-3-3 against a team with one of the best attacking full backs in the league may have been a tad naive.

Opting to fiddle while Rome burns, the Davids responded by sacking assistant Zeljko Petrovic rather than old Turtlehead himself. Fans quickly leapt on every bit of media speculation and assembled a fantasy backroom team consisting of Paolo Di Canio, John Hartson, Steve Lomas and, er, Wally Downes.

Saturday’s match against Wigan is now being marketed as ‘save our season’ day. It will be the second home game I have missed this season, the first being the win over Tottenham, so the omens already look good.

Meanwhile, not wanting to be outdone by Ellie Goulding, Avram has done his own rendition of Elton John’s Your Song, with new lyrics and everything:

It’s a little bit funny, this feeling of denial
I’m not one of those who can easily smile
We don’t have much money but that’s what we need
What was I thinking, buying Winston Reid

If I was a motivator, but then again, no
The fans are already chanting for Di Canio
One win isn’t much but it’s the best I can do
My gift was Barrera, he’s turned out to be poo

And you can tell everybody the ref got it wrong
It’s bad for morale if we blame Gabbidon
I hope you don’t mind
I hope you don’t mind that I missed Stoke for Yom Kippur
Here’s hoping that one day Obinna might just score

I stood on the touchline and stared at the dross
Well a few of Carlton’s shots, they’ve got me quite cross
But Scott’s been quite good while surrounded by clowns
It's due to people like him that we’re not yet down

So excuse me forgetting but these things I do
Why don’t I just stick with playing four-four-two
Anyway the thing is what I really mean
Ours is the worst back four I've ever seen

And I will blame everything on the injury list
We simply can’t win without Collison and Hitz
I hope you don’t mind
I hope you don’t mind that I came from Chelsea
How wonderful life will be, when we’re playing Barnsley

1 comment:

  1. In a way, I’d like to think that Sir Elton will approve far more of his song being hijacked to oust a toad-faced cartoon villain from his job than to hawk the overpriced, festive tat at John Lewis.

    But then again, he’s always had rather a fondness for Graham Taylor. And we all know what that can lead to…

    ReplyDelete